Monday, April 6, 2009

Update-Day 3

Hi all. Just wanted to give an update on how Peyton, Zack, and I (oh, and don't forget Kodi) are getting along on his 3rd day of life. We are still beside ourselves with joy and actually not too horribly sleep deprived. Neither of us can stop staring into Peyton's face, including Kodi who is still not sure what this thing is and why he makes noises in the middle of the night. I am feeling pretty good. I'm still sore, which I figure will last a couple more days, but otherwise I am on cloud 9. After some initial difficulty positioning for breastfeeding, Peyton and I had a meeting of the minds and have gotten the hang of it. He's eating every 2 hours and I have no doubt once my milk is fully in, he will chunk up quickly. We had a 48 hour follow up appt. with my midwifery yesterday and he had lost 5 oz. since birth, which is good, and he was really good when they pricked his heel to get blood...he didn't even whimper, just sucked on my finger and pooped. Speaking of pooping, Zack is a diaper changing machine, which is necessary because Peyton is a pooping and peeing machine. Zack has been absolutely fabulous. He cleaned the whole house, did tons of laundry, changes Peyton after I breast feed at night, brings me food and drinks while I'm breastfeeding (it seems like that is pretty much my whole day right now), and is just a fabulous Daddy (and he suddenly is a crier;)). Parenting is a learning curve, but actually not nearly as scary as either of us had anticipated. Peyton is such an easy baby, only crying briefly when he's wet or hungry, and is easily settled. I don't think we've heard him cry for longer than about 30 seconds at a time.

We had our first outing yesterday. We went to our neighbor's son's 1st b-day party and then out to the midwife appt. and the grocery store. We realized after we were already out that we forgot the diaper bag. We'll have to get used to having a lot more to think about before leaving the house. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice so we are going to try a picnic in the park after Peyton's first pediatrician appt. and a visit to Zack's work.

Thank you to everyone for the phone calls, text messages, and emails of congratulations and encouragement. Several friends have brought food, which is so appreciated since cooking is the last thing either of us wants to do. Grandma and Aunt Cathy were here day 1, but had to go back to Florida. Hopefully Grandma will be back in a few weeks to spend a little more time.

Connie, Zack, and Peyton

No comments:

Post a Comment